• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kegging/carbonation question

CJOCONNOR

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a quick kegging question I'd like some advice on.  I have an IPA in the secondary that is ready to keg.  Typically I force carbonate in a kegerator at 40 degrees or so and then serve from there.  This batch I'm taking with me on a driving trip to visit family who have a kegerator.  Should I force carbonate at home, warm, before I leave?  Or force carbonate at home cold knowing the keg will warm up in the 2 day car trip?  Or should I rack to the keg but not force carbonate until I get to the destination?

Thanks in advance!

I don't know if you have ever transported a keg before so forgive me if I am telling you what you already know but, the sediment in the bottom of that keg is going to get shook up. The beer will be cloudy. When I do this I transfer the beer to another keg. Hook the out line to the out line on another keg and transfer it. It is a bit tricky but a good idea. If the keg can set for a day or so after you move it then don't worry. Shake it as little as possible while moving it.

Back