• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Filling your keggar CO2 bottle

Slobrew

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Where do you guys go to fill your CO2 bottle? I have the 5# bottle and have been going to a local "Fire Supplies Service" it costs me about $18 a refill, which I don't mind paying, but if I can find a cheaper place, then I'm all for it. The other problem I have is the guy that fills the cylinder is not always at the shop so sometimes I have to wait a couple of days. None of the homebrew shops in my area service tanks.

You could try a welding supplies company like Praxair.  They charge about the same but its a bottle exchange.

I exchange mine as well. Welding shops usually work. The local gas supplier is cheaper by a few bucks.

It sounds a little like you're being charged their minimum. I'd suggest another bottle or two so that you're filling more than one at a time. A 5# CO2 bottle doesn't go very far.

Try your local liquor stores.  Mine charges about a buck a pound to refill.

I pay about 25 bucks at Praxair in Des Moines for a 20 pounder. As the others have said, it is an exchange so you never have to wait.

Back