• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

overflow

Robin Foster

Brewer
Reaction score
We made our first beer in a bag batch, but it ended up being over 6 gallons.  We put it all in our 5 gallon bucket to ferment.  It did overflow a little bit and the beer was up in the air lock, but still bubbling away.  I took it off, cleaned it, re-sterilized it, and put it back on.  It started bubbling immediately, but after a couple of hours, the beer was all up in the air lock again.  Is that going to hurt anything?

Rather than use an airlock use a blow off tube into a container of sanitized liquid (like star san). That way you don't have to keep an eye on the airlock, and avoid the potential problems that can occur if your airlock gets blocked (a potential for a very messy situation).

Thank you for the advice.  I will definitely look into one of those blow off tubes.

I got tired of losing a half gallon of beer through my blow off tube, so I eventually invested in larger fermentors.  I haven't had a problem since then.

Back