• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Est OG problems with 2.2

brewhappy

Apprentice
Reaction score
:-[ I recently brewed a brown ale and after all grains were logged in my est OG was 1.013, I noticed that my batch size was set at 10 gal and I changed to 5, the actual brew size. That cut all in my grain bill by 1/2 and my est OR reduced to 1.007. I corrected the grain bill and now my est OG is 1.013 again. When I move the OG up to my target of 1.056 it throughs the grain bill way off ie. 40 lbs 2 row amer. pale etc.
On checking some older recipes they are altered also. Now I am concerned that my recipe collection is totally at risk.
Are there updates missed?
What can I do?

Check to see if you have your recipe set as an extract recipe or an all grain recipe in the type icon at the top center of the design page.  It should be set to "all grain".  I just changed one of my blonde ales from all grain to extract to see what it did to my gravity.  The gravity is 1.042 OG when it is set to "all grain".  When I change it to "extract" it drops down to 1.007 OG.

Thank you Scott I will check that out, don't understand how that would change recipes in the file though.

Most other programs treat specialty grains in extract recipes like they are being mashed. The reality is that steeping extracts color and flavor, but not much usable sugar that would be part of the gravity.

Beer Smith ignores Brewhouse Efficiency in extracts and assigns steeped grains just 15% efficiency as the default. The extract is given an efficiency of 100%. They're 100% dissolvable, so you're getting 100% out of each pound.

By changing the recipe to either partial mash or all grain, BeerSmith considers the grain to be enzymatically active and mashed properly. 

Good info, I did find that the recipe was set for extract not grain slapping forehead. that does explain why raising the est OG threw everything out of kilter. I rechecked some older recipes and a few had been changed to extract also which makes no sense at all. Their grain bills were way off, not sure how I will or can correct that. Some recipes I invented would be lost.
I believe setting my last recipe up as an extract was a one time occurrence as I always use the est OG when inputting ingredients and would notice a problem.
Is there a computer virus that only effects beersmith recipes? :-\

Make sure that your defaults are set to All Grain in Options.

Back