• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Help design/critique a Graff recipe

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Looking for help putting something like this into beersmith
5.5g total

1.5G beer wort + 4 gal preservative-free apple juice

Something along the lines of
2lb Pale 2 row
1lb C60 malt
4-8oz carapils for head and body.

I dont know how much sugar is in the apple juice, when i pick it up i will multiply the amount of sugar per servings by the number of servings to get how much sugar im adding.

Magnum to bitter.

No nelson Sauvin hops (scott ickes will get the joke)

I think the beer style closest to what im looking for, as far as stats go, would be an american amber ale.

How would I go about getting est stats and putting this into beersmith?

Ok, update. I found the apple juice i'll use. 28g sugar per serving, 8 servings per half gallon. So 224g x 8 half gallons is 1792g sugar. Used google to tell me thats 3.95lb sugar.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Graff
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (300.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal 
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.049 SG
Estimated Color: 14.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                  Name                                    Type          #        %/IBU       
2 lbs                Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)          Grain        1        26.8 %       
1 lbs                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)    Grain        2        13.4 %       
4.0 oz                Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)            Grain        3        3.4 %       
4.0 oz                Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)              Grain        4        3.4 %       
0.50 oz              Magnum [12.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop          5        29.0 IBUs   
3 lbs 15.2 oz        Cane (Beet) Sugar (10.0 SRM)            Sugar        6        53.0 % 

I think it needs 1 ounce of Nelson Sauvin hops at flame out, for a touch of flavor and aroma!

8)

i should dry hop with Saaz hops and call it AppleSaaz

I'm thinkin about it, actually. I wish I had a ferm chamber so I could Lager this one. I picked up the London ESB yeast from wyeast and made a starter. I picked up the grain from bader today and Quentin suggested the wpl002 but I like the smack packs so we looked up the equivalent wyeast yeast.

So the grain bill is:
2 lb 2 row
1 lb C60*
4oz Carapils
4oz Special B.
I may kill the yeast after fermentation and add frozen apple juice concentrate, since I Keg. But im leaning towards bottle carbing this one. I could carbonate with the concentrate.

Back