• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Inventory

BigBry68

Master Brewer
Reaction score
How do you add new items to inventory?  I am making a basic cider with apple juice and have seen recipes on beersmith with apple juice but it is not listed as an option for me to utilize in recipe building.

Suggestions?

Hey BigBry68

With BS open, select inventory then select add. You can usually find the item details online to help fill it in

Have fun
Rick

OK let me start by saying I have not been drinking yet today.  ;D

With BS2 open I have an inventory tab under "view" but there is no option to add.

I believe I am understood but for clarity sake, when I am inside a recipe and seek to "add grain" there is no apple juice option.  (Not in any other category either).  I would like to set it up so that it is usable as an ingredient in my recipe.

I apologize if this is right in front of me and I do not see it.

Getting frustrated looking.  ???

I'm not sure you can add an inventory item from within a recipe.

Click "View - Inventory". At the top there should be icons to add Ingredients.
Or click "Ingredients", then pick a category, there should be an "Add" icon at the top ribbon.

I have never found away of adding ingredients to inventory within a recipe. If your in a recipe you can add them to a shopping list, edit the list then add them to inventory or add them directly in the inventory tab.

I only list Apple's not Apple juice also under grain. You will may have to get it's  potential and yield then manually enter in ingredients tab. (ingredients upper ribbon- add grain large ribbon)

Do a search for  Apple juice/ cider profile, Tom has a profile for tree top apple juice. 

BigBry68 said:
With BS2 open I have an inventory tab under "view" but there is no option to add.

Before an item can be given any inventory, it must first be created in the correct ingredient database.

You can create a new ingredient in recipe view by just selecting something reasonably close, changing its name and potential, then hit "save item." That button is in the column under the glass.

You can't directly add an item to inventory from a recipe. You have to go through the shopping list first. However, you can simply open inventory and add it from there.

Adding Juices: As with any fermentable in BeerSmith, you have to convert it into its contribution by ppg. You then have to add it to the recipe in pounds, instead of volume. Juices should be saved as an "Extract" in the Type field.

Apple Juice is usually around 1.050. So one pound of juice has the same potential. As a fermentable, BeerSmith looks at that number as if it was getting diluted to make one gallon.

That means determining the potential is simply dividing the gravity of one pound into the weight of a full gallon or 8.33 pounds.

50/8.3 = 6. So, the potential of apple juice is 1.006.

The same idea applies to any juice. Just divide its potential by 8.3.

Back