• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need some advice on my Fruit Beer

F

Forrest

Well, there are a lot of people doing fruit beers that are based around Wheat.  I wanted to go a less traveled path and create a fruit lager, peach to be exact.  I have my basic recipe made up and it is very simple as far as grain and hops go.  All I have in the grain bill is 2-row Pilsner and a little Cara-Pils.  and Halltauer hops. My question comes with adding my fruit.  I have decided to go with some Peach Puree that has been sterilized so it doesn't have to be boiled.  I am planning on adding it directly to the secondary so that I get a very strong Peach flavor.  My question though is what is a good starting place for the amount of Peach Puree I should put in my Beer?  I am also thinking that adding this Peach Puree is probably going to cloud up my beer so I am wondering if I should even put any Irish Moss in it.

Any help  or advice will be appreciated.

Look at the fruit beer section of DGB (Designing Great Beers) Ray has published how much fruit was used for some NHC winners.  Great place to start

Fred

I checked my copy of "Designing Great Beers".  It did have a lot of good information on Fruit beers and did give some quantities of fruit in some of the award award winners beers but it did not give a quantity for peaches.  Each fruit is deffrent and needs different amounts added.  I think two pounds of Peach Puree is a good place to start based on the other fruits.  What do you think.

Back