• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Anybody use Dropbox (or the like) for recipe storage / multi-user access?

Coolhand

Apprentice
Reaction score
Howdy Folks -

I realize the Beersmith Cloud exists but as near as I can tell you can't share recipes with specific other users (please let me know if this is false), and all of our brewery files are stored in Dropbox.

I would like to be able to access the same set of recipe files between two different (registered) users, and at this point we're having a hard time getting this to work in Dropbox...  which is where my Beersmith files are located using the "Change Document Directory" functionality. Dropbox has it's own issues (ie: not a true file vault with check-in/check-out functionality) but it seems like this should work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Justin
Ten Sleep Brewing Co.

At this time, BeerSmith doesn't fully support Dropbox. In fact, some users have reported corrupt files when using Dropbox.

The BeerSmith cloud is stable with the program, but you'll either need to make the recipes shared (public) or create a joint account for your brewery.

Thanks very much for the reply!

Yes we've had some fun with Dropbox...  in more ways than one.

Can you explain how the joint account for the brewery would work?

It would simply be an account with shared login credentials.

The limitation would be that you couldn't both work on the same recipe at the same time. If two devices try to save to the same file, it could get corrupted.

As a follow up question to this post.....

Can you have multiple copies of Beersmith 2 installed on a computer??  If I wanted to keep a home version and a Company version so I can access the company recipe cloud??

I believe each program copy would have to be in separate partitions.

The easier way would be to just have separate folders for the recipes.

Seperate folders is easy enough, but is there a way to have seperate folders on the cloud, that has private access??

Dropbox works fine because I do not open same recipe, from different location, at the same time.

Back