• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Suggestions for basement brew setup

mmweber

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I just installed a 870 cfm exhaust fan with 6" vent tubing in my basement brew room.  I currently brew 5 gallon AG batches using two 10 gallon round HLT and MLT coolers with a 44 quart stainless brew kettle (gravity feed).  I currently fly sparge, but am open to other ideas.
I want all operations to be in my basement brew room.
I want to brew 5 and 10 gallon batches.
I have a Blichmann NG floor burner with 24" leg extensions.
I have a 220 volt 30 amp dryer outlet readily available.

I'm considering adding a pump and getting a larger brew kettle.
Any recommendations on how to upgrade my processes?
Are the Blichmann kettles worth the extra $$
How would I set up a RIMS system and is it worth doing?
Should I get a 20 or 15 gallon kettle?
I've been brewing for 6 months and have been "bitten" by the bug and plan to brew long term.

Thank you for your feedback.

Mike

I just received my Blichmann floor burner today.  It specifically states to not use indoors.
Did I incorrectly assume my 870 cfm exhaust hood would properly vent fumes and gasses?
I have the natural gas conversion for the burner.
I'm wondering if I should have gone electric instead.
Any input would be appreciated.

If you convert it to Gas I believe that you should be OK.

I use a gas burner in the basement with a vent fan above it.  I'm still here.

The Electric Brewery (  http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/  ) has detailed instructions and parts lists for installing a water heater element in a brew kettle. You do not need the hole punch they specify; a hole saw - used carefully - will work fine. You also do not need the expensive control system described. If you don't have experience working with electricity, find an electrician who like beer to help.

I use my electric kettle as my brew kettle, as the water bath for a HERMS, and as my HLT. I power the heating element with 240 V to raise the heat rapidly, then switch to 120 V (through a Johnson controller) to hold the temp. The same equipment would also work for a simple infusion system.

Your insurance company might be happier with the electric system than the indoor burner labeled, "For outdoor use only".

I designed an electric system to brew indoors (basement).  IMHO, the cost of converting to an electric system far outweighs the possible dangers of using gas/propane indoors.  Cheaper to use and much quicker process of heating liquids... very efficient.  Your venting system will come in handy to vent moisture... an absolute necessity.

Your burner may consume too much of your house air, creating a vacuum causing other natural gas appliances, naturally vented ( water heater, furnace) to spill fumes inside . Your brewing burner  uses tons of air. Add to that your exhaust fan. You would need to open a window for replacement air to come in. This is why commercial kitchens have make-up air units interlocked with the ovens and stoves and fire suppression systems.

If you have no other natural gas appliances in your home you would be ok with respect to venting. But an open burner indoors is going to cause you grief if something does happen,  for sure your insurance company has an easy out for not covering any damages.

I would use that burner just inside my garage with the door open if it were me.

Last winter I put a CO detector in the garage while I was brewing. I was surprised on how fast the CO went up. I opened a window and was able to keep it below 15ppm, I believe the alarm sounds a 18ppm. Carbon Monoxide is a very dangerous gas. http://www.localnews8.com/news/pocatello-police-investigate-deaths-of-multiple-persons/24639734

I believe they put that warning on there for legal reasons...Most homes in the US use natural gas for ovens, stoves and dryers. They are all indoors. Just be sure you have plenty of ventilation and you will be fine.

Back