• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low Final Gravity:o

depper

Apprentice
Reaction score
So I brewed my firsts extract (Brewer's Best Belgian Golden Ale) 2 weeks ago.  I left it in the primary that long and tested my pilot batch (took a little out after pitching yeast and stored in a bottle next to the primary) last night.  The final gravity was 1.001 when it should have been 1.011-1.015, which gives it a ABV of 8.9% (SG was 1.071).  The primary was stored in a 65 degree F basement closet the whole time with no light.  Pretty sure the yeast was Belgian Siason, which I sprinkled on over my wort.  Should I be concerned with this low final gravity??  I do plan on actually getting a sample (using a sanitized cup) from the primary tonight and retest.  I'll probably taste it as well.  Any thoughts??

Tim

If you're using the Lallemand Belle Saison dry yeast, I've had that particular yeast strain take a 1.054 OG down to 1.000 recently.

It's a saison, so it's supposed to be drier.  I would expect the yeast I mentioned to get below 1.010 with your beer and I'm not surprised it went as low as it did.

Thanks for your feedback Scott!  I wish I could remember the exact name of the yeast, but I can't.  I'll try it again tonight from the primary to see if I screwed my pilot up and to see what it taste like.  If nothing else, it will just be a "sipper" beer where quality is much better than quantity! 

Tim

Tim,

Another possibility is your hydrometer. Have you calibrated it in plain water? (preferably distilled or RO water)
I've yet to find one that reads 1.000

I tested it in regular tap water and it was at 1. I am using distilled water when I'm doing my wort. Gonna test again soon. Will let you all know. Thanks again.

Tim

Just retested it and it came out to about 1.004. It added .001 since it was tested at 68 degrees F for a final gravity of 1.005 with an estimated ABV of 8.6%. I tastes it and it taste just like a Belgian beer should! Very happy with the taste, since that's what it's all about. It will be a "sipper" and I can't wait to drink it cold too! Plan on bottling Saturday so I have about 2 more weeks before euphoria :)

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm addicted to making beer!!

Back