• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hopstand/whirlpool

Trapae

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just got a pump and added a whirlpool arm to my immersion chiller.  I will be doing an APA with just 60min bittering hops and whirlpool hops.  Does anyone know at what whirlpool temperature beersmith uses in the program to calculate the whirlpool IBUs?  I am assuming above 190. 

90 C (194 F).

Whirlpool hop utilization is not a hard set of rules. There is a dramatic drop in utilization between 94 C and below 90. Depending on how long you're above 90 C will influence your bitterness.

But wait, there's more!

Hop isomerization also begins to slope off above 60 IBU and with all other things being constant, tops out at about 100. Some factors can increase that by 5% or so, but again, it's a ballpark. Most isomerization calculations are about kettle levels, not finished packaged beer. For instance, there are very few beers (if any) over 80 IBU in the bottle/keg that aren't adding isomerized extract after fermentation.

Manipulating your utilization levels to match where you measure and what numbers you get are important brewer considerations.

You can change the whirlpool utilization in Options > Bitterness to match your results.

Back