• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

AKA's BEER CHART - compare BJCP Beer Styles 2014 v 2008

AKA

Apprentice
Reaction score
The attached describes a new chart for comparing beers.
This version shows all BJCP beer categories on a single graphic.
I think it provides a thought-provoking overview of the BJCP categories - and an interesting means to compare the latest 2014 data to 2008.
It can also be used to chart beer styles or individual beers.
I very much welcome feedback.

I'm also keen to chart classic individual beers.
Can anyone link me to a list of the 5 "vital statistics" for the best known commercial  beers?
(ideally data for the originals rather than for clones - and I need all five parameters; OG, FG, Bitterness, Colour, Alcohol - preferably in IBU, SRM, ABV).

Attachments

• AKA’s BEER CHART- BJCP Beer Styles 2014 v 2008.pdf
    832.9 KB · Views: 32
It's an interesting comparison of the two guidelines.

I'm sure it will generate conversation, which is a positive thing.

Why copyright it?

Thanks Brewfun.
I'm keen for anyone to use this chart freely for personal use.
Subject to feedback I'd like to also post a spreadsheet for anyone to generate the Apparent Bitterness and AKA's Beer Chart.

The only reason for the copyright symbol is that I'd like to be acknowledged if this chart format is used commercially or published online.

I like it! Graphics tell me a lot more with a lot less effort than ten pages of text. Your chart is very helpful.

Thanks Durrettd!

The 2014 and 2008 BJCP category charts are now more easily viewed at:  http:/aka-post.tumblr.com

My article on how the chart was created is at:  aka-post-2.tumblr.com

And the key data for charting all the 2014 beers styles and categories is now here:  aka-post-3.tumblr.com

Back