• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pumpkin Porter

nuggetmania

Apprentice
Reaction score
Only my third brew and from B.B a Pumpkin Spice Porter , all spice , no pumpkin so I put a can of Libby`s pure pumpkin in the last 10 minutes of boil . Everything great so far , till I went to funnel into the carboy Whoops , pumpkin too dense to go through  the sieve . Duh !
So the wort all went into the carboy ... everything else with it and naturally I could not take an OG read ( I did just for an education , 1.090) . Aerated the heck out of it , pitched the yeast and those guys went right to work !
Anyway two days later we are racking to secondary and are hoping to get a SG read (now that it is settled ) tonight . Everything has settled out and slowed enough for me to get it off the cake (carefully of course ) . Now before racking to second I need to ask a question ! If the SG read is still at what is was , am I better off leaving it at that and hoping it will come down or can I water it slightly with some bottled water ? My choice is to leave it alone as I know these heavier body brews have higher reads , Any thoughts before I rack it over ?
Thanks in advance .

Everything is right on track to be a good drinker , all racked to second stage and a pretty good taste . Another 2 or 3 weeks at second then on to bottling and to the cellar which is constant at 60 degrees for a couple months and more !
I learned a couple good lessons on this batch that will help me going forward , so please disregard my last post .

Back