• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

auto syphon vs kettle valve

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I always use the auto syphon to transfer my wort to fermenter, is it better to just use the kettle valve instead? I don't have a brew pump so I would have to do it by gravity.
Thanks

When I do a 10 gallon batch, I use my autosiphon, because I see no need to risk my back lifting it high enough to get it above my fermentor. 

When I do 5 gallon batches, it's easy enough to lift my kettle up onto this roller cart that I have, so that I can just open the valve and let it drain.

I pour it. Five gallons of course. Couldn't safely do that with ten. I only siphon when I don't want air to get into it.  So I pour the brewpot into a brew bucket where I can verify the volume and add water if necessary, then I pour it into a funnel to fill the carboy that it ferments in.  I want to get as much air into it as I can at this point. 

Maine Homebrewer said:
I pour it. Five gallons of course. Couldn't safely do that with ten. I only siphon when I don't want air to get into it.  So I pour the brewpot into a brew bucket where I can verify the volume and add water if necessary, then I pour it into a funnel to fill the carboy that it ferments in.  I want to get as much air into it as I can at this point.

I used to pour it also.  Pouring works just fine. 

I got an aquarium pump about a year ago and I've been using that to aerate ever since.

I open the kettle valve (with a stainless steel scrubber wedged over the inside of the valve) and direct the wort into the fermenter with a hose to maximize splashing and aeration.

There's no wrong or right way here. The benefit of using a valve is less equipment to clean after brewing, no heavy lifting if you have enough height to gravity drain, and the option of using a kettle screen to help keep hops from going in the fermentor. Of course the screen can get clogged, making it a slow painful draining process.
Using a siphon is easy and other than cleaning, doesn't have many negatives. You can use a reusable muslin bag for filtering as well. The bags can be a headache to clean, though.
Also, as mentioned before, you can always dump it all in a bucket if you don't care as much about the clarity or the hops going into the fermentor. I often do this for stouts, porters, and hefeweizen.

I open the kettle valve and drain through a stainless steel strainer until I'm near the end (valve runs dry), then pour through the strainer.  The strainer helps oxidize and pulls out solids.

When I was doing 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon pot, it was still easy (relatively) to pour the contents into the fermenter.  When I switched over to a 15 gallon heavy duty kettle, even 5 gallon batches were getting too heavy to pour so I used gravity feed through the ball valve (whirlpool by hand first to try and move the trub into the center of the pot).

Now that I'm producing 10 gallon batches, I broke down and bought a pump.  I first whirlpool using the pump. let it settle, and then transfer through a Brewers Hardware Trub strainer (http://www.brewershardware.com/Trub-Strainer/), through a plate chiller, and then into the fermenter(s).

The addition of the pump makes all aspects of moving liquid around so much nicer.  I've gone from chronic back pain to bliss :)

-Dan

Back