• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Container(s) for storing harvested yeast?

drb1215

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello,

I noticed that mason jars are a popular storage container for harvested yeast.  Easy to work with, easy to find, and cheap!  I've been reading Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation, and they mention the dangers associated with using glass containers with lids tightened, and how the can explode due to pressure build up.  Has anyone had problems with using glass for storage?  Does anyone use plastic instead?

Just curious on what others have experienced.

Thanks,
Dan

I use glass mason jars.  I just loosen the lid about a half turn but I really don't see a danger unless you harvest way too early.  I changed the metal 2-piece lids out to the white plastic one-piece screw on lids.  No assembly required, and quicker to put on/off. 

Mason jars all the way. No worries of exploding if you are rinsing the yeast. That should remove any additional fermentables. Not a bad idea to lightly open the jars once and a while. Always keep them refrigerated.

I use mason jars.  I've never had one explode.  When they are warming up to room temp before being pitched into my starter, they do make a little bit of a mess from some slight pressure build up.  I've learned to loosen they when I first take them out, so that they don't build pressure as they warm up.  I've also learned to open them over the sink.

I usually just fill a bottle with yeast since I have a bunch of bottles already sanitized, and cap it just like a bottle of beer and put it in the fridge. Of course you have to be absolutely certain that all the minions are asleep and no sugar is introduced when you bottle it. In 10 years I've never had a bottle explode. That being said I'm always a little afraid of the explanation I'm going to have to give my wife about the mess in the fridge if it ever does happen, as I have confidently reassured her numerous times that there is NO WAY that could ever happen. As an added measure of safety I then put the bottles into a one gallon plastic jar with a screw top lid, that way if one ever does explode, it'll be contained

I went through all that mason jar stuff too. Also plastic beer bottles. Both ways I have had the odd yeast after 3 or 4 weeks that didnt work.
Can't have that. Maybe my fridge is too cold, 34F, maybe too much air spoiled it, don't know.
I have found that the easiest way to reuse yeast is to just time your brew session with the transfer of a brew off  of its yeast cake. Then you have a 100% fresh, proven yeast to use. Use the entire yeast cake( transfer right on top), or use about half. I like the latter, about 750 ml.
I have found transferring right on top works ok, but the fermentor gets really grungy, smelly and hard to clean. So pour off 3/4 of a quart, clean and sanitize the fermentor ,add your fresh wort and pitch the yeast slurry in.
You will notice doing this, your fermentor is always in use.  It's a good thing. It is the best source of yeast you can get. No need for another whole operation/ department to have yeast on hand.

I just did the re-pitch onto the yeast cake from previous batch thing. I used the secondary fermentor cake and it looked pretty clean. I did not do anything to it but transfer on the fresh wort and give it a good shake to rouse the yeast and add oxygen. I moved to secondary 5 days later to make sure there was no long time dead yeast. Very happy with the results - just went in the keg (which I normally wait a couple of weeks before drinking) but had a quick taste and was very clean with no detectable defects. I would do it again, but I rarely have such good timing.

I used the secondary fermentor cake and it looked pretty clean.

I've never done that. From what I've read the yeast in the primary is much more healthy than the yeast in the secondary. When I brew I try to do it in strings where I brew and rack on the same day. That way I take a scoop of sludge from the primary and use it to seed the next batch. I'll keep it going until it's time to switch from fall ale to winter lager, or from winter lager to spring ale. I don't brew in the summer.

I use Safale and Saflager dry yeast. The first batch takes a few days to start, and the subsequent batches take off like a rocket.

As with anything in brewing there are pluses and minus for harvesting yeast from the primary or secondary.

"You can collect yeast from either the bottom of the primary or secondary fermentor. If you obtain yeast from the secondary, it will have only small amounts of trub mixed in and will be easy to separate. However, you need to be aware that if you repitch yeast harvested from the secondary several times in succession, you will tend to select the less flocculant cells of the population, and future beers will be slow to clarify. But, if you only repitch once or twice, it is not a big deal. I myself usually harvest yeast from the secondary." John Palmer

Now we are not talking about harvesting and washing yeast here - we are simply dumping wort on top. I would think that doing that in a secondary would be better as there is much less tub and other junk to worry about. It is selecting less flocculent yeast, but is it also selecting more alcohol tolerant yeast?

I don't know the answer, it was just something I tried and it seemed to work out well.

I will try washing the yeast from the primary of the latest batch and see how that goes.

Plastic jars with screw-on lids work for me. I make a yeast starter for all my brews then save a portion of the starter in a plastic jar and store in the refrigerator. I'll initially put the lid on loosely until the yeast drops to the bottom of the jar then tighten the lid. The fresh yeast from the starter is still active and can build up pressure, which I understand can kill yeast.

The saved yeast is then used to make a starter for my next brew. I date and keep track of how many times I've used the yeast. I'll let it age up to eight months or five-six uses, then pitch it and buy fresh yeast. Over time the viability of the yeast decreases and each time a starter is made the yeast can mutate. Use it too often and the mutated yeast can have undesirable affects on your beer.

As for washing yeast , due to excess trub, I find it not needed. IF you introduce less trub into the fermentor in the first place, the yeast harvesting needs minimal washing. I find irish moss in the boil, a  bazooka screen in the boil kettle outlet, and whirpooling / recirculating with the nice copper cooling coil creates a very clear wort. You can rinse yeast quickly by settling it in a mason jar after mixing with cooled boiled water but i havent needed to yet. In summer when brewing sessions are ales only and few, i buy a new pack of yeast (safale 5)for 5 bucks every time. In winter lager production is high and i use the same yeast for months by reusing the yeast cake .(Saflager S23).

Back