• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting hop amounts depending on AA %

PaulReece

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've just started brewing and found a recipe I want to try.
In the Recipe the Alpha Acids for a particular hop is different to the Alpha Acid marked on the packet.
How do I adjust the weight of the hops to keep the same bitterness?

Paul

Do you mean with the software or just in general?

I don't know how to do it in Beersmith, but it should just be linear math. Like 4.5%AA and 5%AA would be 4.5/5 = 0.88. So if it were originally 2 oz you would use 2*0.88= 1.76 oz.

You can change the AA% (and Beta%) of the hops in your recipe by double-clicking on the hops you want to change, and making the appropriate changes in the pop-up and clicking OK.

If the recipe you are following has the IBUs listed, you can simply change the amount (weight) of the hops in your recipe (in Beersmith) until the IBUs match what you want. This assumes you've adjusted the AA% in BS to match what is printed on your package of hops.

When building recipes in BS, it is always a good idea to "calibrate" the AAs in your hops to what is shown on your package to be sure your calculated IBUs are in-line with expectations.

Thank you both very much. It's as I thought which means I'm doing it correctly.

Paul

Back