Author Topic: 1.4 Win to 2.2 Linux  (Read 3722 times)

Offline 4evernewb

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
1.4 Win to 2.2 Linux
« on: August 01, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
I am a happy user of BrewSmith 1.4 on Windows 7, and I have purchased BrewSmith 2.2 and installed it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. What I have not yet been able to do is to import  (copy? open?) my recipes from 1.4 on Windows to 2.2 on Ubuntu. I have followed the excellent instructions in the video to do this manually, but 2.2 always says there is an error in importing.

Here is what I have done in detail:
1. Saved the brewlog.bsm file as instructed in the video.
2. I have copied that file to a USB drive and tried to open from there. Then I tried from a copy on the Ubuntu desktop. Then I tried from a copy on the Windows partition on the Ubuntu machine (it's dual boot), and no luck there. Perhaps this is a problem with the difference in file types, NTFS vs. EFT4 (I think that's what the file type I'm using in Ubuntu is). Anyway, I don't have enough computer chops to figure this out. Probably a rare kind of upgrade, not only from 1.4 to 2.2 but from Windows to Linux. I doubt I'm the only one in the world doing this, though (:-). If not a solution, any work around?

Any help greatly appreciated.

4evernewb

Offline adam01

• BeerSmith Brewer
Re: 1.4 Win to 2.2 Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
Try creating a new recipe on linux 2.2. Export the file.

Bring up both the exported .bsm and the .bsm from your windows version in an editor.
if you see ^M in the windows .bsm file and none in the linux bsm file, run this command in an xterm window.

dos2unix <windows bsm> old_1.4_recipes.bsm

Then try importing the new file "old_1.4_recipes.bsm" into Beersmith.

Offline 4evernewb

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »
I am a happy user of BrewSmith 1.4 on Windows 7, and I have purchased BrewSmith 2.2 and installed it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. What I have not yet been able to do is to import  (copy? open?) my recipes from 1.4 on Windows to 2.2 on Ubuntu. I have followed the excellent instructions in the video to do this manually, but 2.2 always says there is an error in importing.

Here is what I have done in detail:
1. Saved the brewlog.bsm file as instructed in the video.
2. I have copied that file to a USB drive and tried to open from there. Then I tried from a copy on the Ubuntu desktop. Then I tried from a copy on the Windows partition on the Ubuntu machine (it's dual boot), and no luck there. Perhaps this is a problem with the difference in file types, NTFS vs. EFT4 (I think that's what the file type I'm using in Ubuntu is). Anyway, I don't have enough computer chops to figure this out. Probably a rare kind of upgrade, not only from 1.4 to 2.2 but from Windows to Linux. I doubt I'm the only one in the world doing this, though (:-). If not a solution, any work around?

Any help greatly appreciated.

4evernewb

Continuation: I received some advice in response to the problem above which was to look at both my brewlog.bsm file from windows (that won't import into BeerSmith 2.2) and at a new recipe I produce in 2.2 running on Ubuntu. If the windows one began with ^M and the other one didn't, then there was a dos2unix command to run.

So that we're all clear. The 1.4 .bsm files are binary. BeerSmith 2.2 exports into .bsmx files, which are of a different nature (?). Anyway, I made 2.2 export the new recipe into a .bsm file. On Ubuntu gedit does not open, apparently, a binary file. I copied both files (the old windows brewlog.bsm and the new recipe from 2.2 running Ubuntu) to Windows and looked at them in Notepad. Both begin with tilde-N. So I have no way to import my list of recipes from 1.4 Windows to 2.2 Ubuntu. Other ideas?

Gratefully,

Offline 4evernewb

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
So in an xterm window I tried dos2unix anyway on the brewlog.bsm file, but it objected to that file's binary nature.

Is there a way to transform a binary .bsm file to a .bsmx file? If I could do that, then I feel confident that BeerSmith 2.2 running on Ubuntu would accept it.

Hopefully

Offline Rev2010

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 08:47:20 AM »
I couldn't import my Beersmith 1.4 recipes either. I eventually just exported them as .xml and importing worked.

Rev.

modification