• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

1.4 Win to 2.2 Linux

4evernewb

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a happy user of BrewSmith 1.4 on Windows 7, and I have purchased BrewSmith 2.2 and installed it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. What I have not yet been able to do is to import  (copy? open?) my recipes from 1.4 on Windows to 2.2 on Ubuntu. I have followed the excellent instructions in the video to do this manually, but 2.2 always says there is an error in importing.

Here is what I have done in detail:
1. Saved the brewlog.bsm file as instructed in the video.
2. I have copied that file to a USB drive and tried to open from there. Then I tried from a copy on the Ubuntu desktop. Then I tried from a copy on the Windows partition on the Ubuntu machine (it's dual boot), and no luck there. Perhaps this is a problem with the difference in file types, NTFS vs. EFT4 (I think that's what the file type I'm using in Ubuntu is). Anyway, I don't have enough computer chops to figure this out. Probably a rare kind of upgrade, not only from 1.4 to 2.2 but from Windows to Linux. I doubt I'm the only one in the world doing this, though :)-). If not a solution, any work around?

Any help greatly appreciated.

4evernewb

Try creating a new recipe on linux 2.2. Export the file.

Bring up both the exported .bsm and the .bsm from your windows version in an editor.
if you see ^M in the windows .bsm file and none in the linux bsm file, run this command in an xterm window.

dos2unix <windows bsm> old_1.4_recipes.bsm

Then try importing the new file "old_1.4_recipes.bsm" into Beersmith.

4evernewb said:
I am a happy user of BrewSmith 1.4 on Windows 7, and I have purchased BrewSmith 2.2 and installed it successfully on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. What I have not yet been able to do is to import  (copy? open?) my recipes from 1.4 on Windows to 2.2 on Ubuntu. I have followed the excellent instructions in the video to do this manually, but 2.2 always says there is an error in importing.

Here is what I have done in detail:
1. Saved the brewlog.bsm file as instructed in the video.
2. I have copied that file to a USB drive and tried to open from there. Then I tried from a copy on the Ubuntu desktop. Then I tried from a copy on the Windows partition on the Ubuntu machine (it's dual boot), and no luck there. Perhaps this is a problem with the difference in file types, NTFS vs. EFT4 (I think that's what the file type I'm using in Ubuntu is). Anyway, I don't have enough computer chops to figure this out. Probably a rare kind of upgrade, not only from 1.4 to 2.2 but from Windows to Linux. I doubt I'm the only one in the world doing this, though :)-). If not a solution, any work around?

Any help greatly appreciated.

4evernewb

Continuation: I received some advice in response to the problem above which was to look at both my brewlog.bsm file from windows (that won't import into BeerSmith 2.2) and at a new recipe I produce in 2.2 running on Ubuntu. If the windows one began with ^M and the other one didn't, then there was a dos2unix command to run.

So that we're all clear. The 1.4 .bsm files are binary. BeerSmith 2.2 exports into .bsmx files, which are of a different nature (?). Anyway, I made 2.2 export the new recipe into a .bsm file. On Ubuntu gedit does not open, apparently, a binary file. I copied both files (the old windows brewlog.bsm and the new recipe from 2.2 running Ubuntu) to Windows and looked at them in Notepad. Both begin with tilde-N. So I have no way to import my list of recipes from 1.4 Windows to 2.2 Ubuntu. Other ideas?

Gratefully,

So in an xterm window I tried dos2unix anyway on the brewlog.bsm file, but it objected to that file's binary nature.

Is there a way to transform a binary .bsm file to a .bsmx file? If I could do that, then I feel confident that BeerSmith 2.2 running on Ubuntu would accept it.

Hopefully

I couldn't import my Beersmith 1.4 recipes either. I eventually just exported them as .xml and importing worked.

Rev.

Back