• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ending kettle efficiency

Dodes

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the beersmith and have the question about the efficiency. Can I somehow set what the total efficiency represents? That is if it is brewhouse efficiency (wort in fermenter) or the kettle efficiency (wort in the kettle after boil)? Because I cannot precisely measure the fermentor wort volume so I was using in the past the kettle efficiency for designing the recipes. And it was working great.

Thanks

The efficiency number in your equipment profile is Brewhouse Efficiency (wort in fermenter. AKA Brewhouse Yield). All losses, plus cooling shrinkage need to be accounted for.

However, you can start with the post boil kettle efficiency of you just set the Loss to Trub & Chiller to 0. What goes into the fermenter will simply be the same as the post boil volume, minus the cooling shrinkage.

Then you can just measure the losses from a few batches to get an accurate number for trub loss. BeerSmith will show you the measured efficiency in the Fermentation tab and you can use this to modify your equipment profile.

Thanks for reply,
Yes I just realized that after posting the message:)

Maybe minor nitpicking: If we could have some combo box in the "Design" page to have the target efficiency set (kettle/fermentor) and then in the "Fermentation" page we could have another "group" of "After the boil" when one could add the values (SG, volume) after the boil. Then the "Measured efficiency" in the "Fermentation" page would show kettle or fermentor efficiency based on the combo selection. This would be great.

Dodes said:
If we could have some combo box in the "Design" page to have the target efficiency set (kettle/fermentor) and then in the "Fermentation" page we could have another "group" of "After the boil" when one could add the values (SG, volume) after the boil.

That number would be the same as the mash efficiency, since both pre and post boil are volume & gravity dependent.

The gap in efficiency numbers are that sugar and late extract additions (in partial mash) are not separated from the mash number. This means that sugars and extracts have to be zeroed out while evaluating the mash alone, then re-entered to see the total.

Another nice stat would be to record the first runnings gravity to evaluate conversion and lauter efficiency.

brewfun said:
Another nice stat would be to record the first runnings gravity to evaluate conversion and lauter efficiency.

Yeah, that was my suggestion I posted yesterday (http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,11531.0.html) :)

Back