• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Issues

bmalloy09

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm sure this question has been answered elsewhere in the forum, but I haven't found a succinct answer.

I'm fairly new to AG brewing, this was my third batch. And thus far have had TERRIBLE brewhouse efficiencies (my first was at 60%, not too shabby, my second two have been in the mid 40's, AWEFUL!). I'm assuming my issue is in the sparge. Here's my question. I have Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge selected and inside of that I have the "Batch sparge using batches that fill 90%" ticked off "use equal batches" ticked off and "drain mash tun before sparging" ticked off.

In the recipe view/on my mobile app it says to, "Batch sparge with 2 steps (drain mash tun, 3.41 gal) of 168 degree water. What does this mean? Drain my mash tun, then add 3.41 gallons at 168 degrees? Because that wouldn't get my grain anywhere near the 168 degrees for the final bit of the mash, and thus screw my efficiency to my understanding.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses!

Here's an excellent guide to batch sparging:    http://dennybrew.com/

It's simple enough that you may decide to do the arithmetic in your head.

I would also recommend http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Brewhouse_Efficiency.

Yeah, I doubt batch sparging is your issue.  I'd look at the crush of your grains first, then the projected pH of the mash 2nd - but its almost always the crush.

Batch sparging is simple and hard to screw up.  The sparge is not there for converting starches to sugars - that was done during the hour-long first step.  The sparge is simply to get those already converted sugars into solution.  It is a rinse.  So the hotter the water the better the grains are rinsed.  The reason for the 168* is that above 170* you can begin leaching tannins from the husks of the grain.  However you can go hotter if you are certain your mash pH is in the 5.2 to 5.5 range.

I agree with yso191 in that it's probably the crush. Tighten up your mill a bit and I bet you'll see an improvement. Just don't tighten it up too much or the sparge will gum up.

Back