• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Thoughts on this Irish Stout

Catch-22

Brewer
Reaction score
I plan on throwing oak cubes that I have had soaking in bourbon into the secondary with this one....but I wanted to see what those with more experience with recipes think of this.

12 lbs British Pale
2 lbs Flaked Barley
1 lb Black Roasted Malt
5 oz Rye Malt
3 oz Chocolate Malt
3 oz Black Patent

1 oz Magnum @ 60 mins

I looked all around at a ton of recipes and tried to keep in mind what a number of them were calling for.  Based on my experiences with some of these malts (some of which I had on hand) I pulled the ones that I liked most. 

Thoughts?  Changes?

I can give you my thoughts on the oak.  I use oak chips quite frequently and I do soak them in bourbon when appropriate.

With oak, you need to sample taste it every week or so, until the oak level is to your liking. 

Another thing to consider is whether to pour off the bourbon and just add the oak...or to pour it all in to the beer.  I've done both, depending on the flavor profile I was after.  I almost always pour the bourbon in too.  Something to remember, 1 pint of bourbon into 5 gallons increases your ABV by 1%.  Depending on the beer you're oaking, you might add the bourbon and accidently take the ABV up to high (for example, a Russian Imperial Stout that is already at 12% or higher, without the bourbon, end up at 13% or higher with the bourbon) and inhibit the yeasts ability to bottle condition.  Just some food for thought.

Thanks, Scott.  The ABV according to BS is about 8.3, and that is without the bourbon.  I was hoping for the bourbon flavor, so I will probably toss it all in.  I appreciate the advice about tasting every week for the oak flavor.  I have never used oak cubes before so that is helpful to know.

Back