• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dead yeast

liveforliving

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I know it's a little early to worry about the yeast being dead since we made the batch yesterday, but I just learned of an issue while we made our batch. Apparently, the yeast was being rehydrated from 1 cup of water with a lot of Sanstar in it (the was from a pot that items were being kept sanitary in...). Killer sounding mistake...I know Sanstar doesn't kill yeast in the normal sense, but this sounds extreme. Any thoughts? If it's dead, can I put new yeast in the carboy?

If you're not seeing fermentation by now, pitch more yeast.

Starsan sanitizes by producing a very low pH solution that kills most bacteria. I assume that if the liquid you used to rehydrate had enough Starsan in it, it could have killed the yeast. It sounds like you have just performed a very interesting experiment. Please let us know if the first pitch of yeast took off.

Back