• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Converting Side-by side fridge/freezer

TAHammerton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So after 20 years of homebrewing I finally got a keg system. The problem I have now is I only have one fridge for both the keg and my fermenting beer. So right now I have an I.P.A. in secondary at 68F. Which means the keg is somewhere in the mid 60's. I cannot get any carbonation even with 22 PSI :(

The wife does not want me to run 2 fridges, so what am I to do? My idea is to get a side by side fridge/freezer and put the kegs in the freezer side and the brewing beer in the fridge section. I have 2 options:

1. Plug the fridge into a Johnson controller monitoring the fermenting beer in the fridge side and accept whatever temp the freezer side turns out to be for the keg.

2. Use my own PID temp controllers and bypass the fridges control system completely (I am not afraid to start cutting wires and pulling things apart).

I am more partial to option one as i am not an electrical engineer but I do know one and I can figure it out.

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I am open to all advice.

(I am not rubbing it in, but I do live in Hawaii so I will never have to warm the fermenting beer, only chill it.)

Dang! Did it again!

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/pimp-my-system-richard-trevino

Back