• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Soft water and efficiency

C

crasher1339

Due to a water softener in my home (our well water is very hard), the water from my tap is extremely soft.  Like in 0 Calcium and 1 Mag (these numbers are from the water analysis done when we purchased the home).  I recently started doing AG and have been getting low efficiencies, anywhere from 60-65%.  I'm batch sparging, and admittedly refining my technique and setup, but my question is will the softness of the water influence my efficiency?  If I add some gypsum, can I expect improvement?  Will the soft water cause other problems?

I started out doing my all grain with softened/filtered water, but was getting efficiencies of  around 75% or so.  Only recently have I found out why I am getting efficiencies of 55-60% (found a pitted hole in my brew pot)

I don't know if the different minerals will affect the efficiency as you have described, but I will be comparing my previous one to my next batch after I replace the brew pot.

I was having a similar problem.

My water is about 9ppm Ca, according to John Palmer's How to Brew calcium is needed for the enzymes to do there thing.

Try adding a tsp or two of gypsum to the mash, this brings it into the 50 ppm for me.

Back