• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

carbonating

mattes.dude

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently decided to up my brewing from modifying small kits to larger kit-free batches. This has gone well.  I'm now also kegging my beer and have built, with much help, a working kegerator to enjoy my tapped beer. My question comes in with carbonating my kegged beer.  I've read the article on this website about connecting the co2 for several days.  Could you instead connect the co2 through the 'out' valve of the keg to make the co2 go through the beer to carbonate quicker? I was thinking it would be similar to a soda stream machine in this sense. 

Thanks for the help!

Yes, you could do that.  You would just need to move the gas disconnect over to the OUT dip tube, etc.

Or, you could just cold crash the keg for a day, set the regulator to 35-40 psi and rock the keg like a baby so that the co2 dip tube is submerged in the beer.  Do this for about 60 seconds.  Then, turn down to 20-25 for a few hours, vent the excess co2 and try your beer!

Mark

On the fermentation tab on Beersmith if you select keg carbonation it will tell you how much CO2 pressure to use i.e. 12.54 psi for 2.3 volumes. I leave mine on the CO2 for one week.

Back