• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

22% on my first try :(

G

glock

I attempted my first all grain batch today and wasn't very pleased. I think I missed the mark. I am using Sanke style brew kegs and ended up with an efficiency of around 28%. I was attempting to brew a batch of Koelsh. I do believe I saved the batch by adding some dry malt extra and was able to get the OG to the right specs.

I am running three kettles. One of which has a recirculation system. I wanted to tinker so I only attempted a 5 gallon batch as this was the first run. I calibrated the specs on my brew system according to the instructions which came with beer smith.

Here is what I used..

5 pounds of great western 2 row premium
2 pounds of german pilsner 2 row
1.5 pounds of great western wheat

Saccharification - added 10.63 qt at 162.2
Mash out - 168 degrees for 10 minutes

Sparged with 4.58 gallons of 168 degree water which took around 30 minutes ... (too fast perhaps?)

This was the initial voyage of a brew scuplture and my first all grain. Give me some ideas on what to look for and perhaps tweak next time. I did do the starch test using iodine and it showed the it was converted.

Try batch sparging next time It sounds like you have the samre set up as me. You could  have had channeling if you were fly sparging thus the low eff.

Back