• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Cannot adjust Mash Option / Cannot Find Style

SMB

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

Using 2.2, and I'm manually entering a recipe manually: Brewer's Best extract recipe for 'Imperial Nut Brown Ale' and I am encountering several problems:

1.  I cannot adjust the mash type.  The program does not allow me to select different mash types; locked option.

2.  Significant differences between recipe and BeerSmith calculations. (Note: because I cannot adjust mash type to extract, I am left with a 72% efficiency; I even manually adjusted efficency to 100&):

RECIPE                          BEERSMITH
OG              1.071-1.075                  1.058
FG                1.016-1.019                  1.003
IBUs            47-50                            62.5
ABV              6.75-7.75                      5.7%       
Color:          Brown                            13.4 (honey-colored)

3.  CANNOT FIND STYLE PARAMETERS:  I cannot find a style for a brown ale which matches even remotely close to the recipe parameters. 

This may be operator error, but I can't diagnose it.  Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

Attachments

• 1048 2013 Imperial Nut Brown Recipe.pdf
    291.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Imperial Nut Brown Ale - BeerSmith.bsmx
    22.1 KB · Views: 189
First, the recipe is set to extract. BeerSmith defaults to 15% utilization for steeped grains in extract recipes, but most recipes are written with 70% extraction in mind. The BeerSmith default is closer to reality.

Another point about extract recipes is that BeerSmith looks at the extract as pretty much the only fermentable.

The BeerSmith recipe size is 5.5 gallons. But the document says 5, with the very interesting instruction, "be careful not to add a volume of water that will cause the wort to fall outside the OG range specified." So, obviously the approximation is on their end.

The reason you're not finding a style guide for this beer is that it's an "imperial" or double version of a traditional style. In other words, it doesn't exist in nature. However, if you need the sliding scale to be somewhat close, then use Imperial IPA as a guide. Color will be dark, but the rest will line up.

Back