• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pilsner beer

Nicolasbrewmaster9923

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello team,
I just started brewing and need a pilsner blonde recipe if possible for a 5 gallons brew.
Thanking you in advance,
Nicolas

Since you just started brewing I would recommend staying with ales for now.  Pilsners are brewed using lager yeasts which require precise temperature control thru both fermenting & lagering.  Lagers also require more time than ales to finish.  I would suggest a Kolsch.  A German Ale that has a very similar flavor profile to a pils. Nice clean and crisp.

What method of brewing are you doing?  All grain, extract, extract & specialty grains, or partial mashing.  Know your methods & what your comfort levels are would help people in help you.

Hi Nicolas,

I'm going to brew a 5 gallon batch of Pilsner style beer tomorrow using Wyeast American Ale II instead of my usual Budvar Pilsner Lager Yeast. I'm planning to use about 8 lbs of Pilzen malt combined with about half pound of flaked corn and some 10L Crystal. I'll be adding about 3oz of Saaz hops.  While it is not traditional to brew this style with ale yeast, I'm expecting a fairly clean tasting summer beer. I'll let you know in about a month or so how it came out.

John

Just tasted my Pilsner Ale. Very pleased with the results. This is a very drinkable summer beer. That being said, I think it needs something else. Just Pilsner malt and Saaz hops didn't do it. Any suggestions? Still very drinkable.

Try using a good bittering hop such as Northern brewer which is a noble hop and great for pils. I use 1 0z northern brewer, 1/2 half oz hallertau tradition and 1/2 oz saaz for a 23 liter batch. Very spicy, crisp clean perfectly bitter flavour . I have made dozens of batches with this hop combo it works well.

Back