• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter from Harvested Yeast

Johnh3nry

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm making a 1040 Irish Red Ale tomorrow using a 1L yeast starter made from harvested American Ale yeast. I've never made a starter from harvested yeast before. The harvested yeast has been stored in a 1L mason jar for about three months. Because my Erlenmeyer flask is only 1L, I wasn't able to pour the entire contents of the mason jar into the flask since about 1/4 of it was already filled with DME, yeast nutrient and 2 cups water. My question is, where in the mason jar is the yeast? Is it the white slurry at the bottom of the jar or is it suspended in the liquid on the top. If it's all in the white slurry at the bottom, then I think I blew it and need to start over. If it's suspended in the liquid at the top, then I'm probably good.

The yeast is the thick creamy white part  If you did not rinse it you will likely have a darker layer at the very bottom.  Dont use that.  Also discard the top liquid portion.  At  3 months storage,  Sorry but your yeast is well past its useful life.  I would get fresh. 

Even if the 3 months is a long age, I would say that with using the right amount of the starter it could go OK. The 1 liter starter wouldn't be probable enough, but it depends on the volume of the slurry.
If you have only 2 layers in the jar, that is the white layer (yeast) and some transparent liquid layer, decant the transparent liquid layer (save some little amount to disrupt the yeast on the bottom) and use only the bottom layer. If you've got the 3 layers, the bottom dark grey, the middle light grey and the top transparent liquid, use only the middle layer.

Thanks guys. That's what I was afraid of. There's only two layers and I think I dumped the useful layer. I have a new batch thats' just finishing primary fermentation tomorrow. I think I'll wash that yeast and use it instead. Thanks for the advice.

John

Back