• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Stuck Fermentation

Kevcor

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am 99% sure that I have a stuck fermentation. There is no activity and the wort is cloudy like it just stopped. I rocked it very gently but nothing. The problem I have is that it has been almost 2 weeks since I pitched the yeast and I now know that it was under pitched. My question is would it be too late to pitch more yeast at this point?

OK I just tasted the wort and it has a strong apricot flavor??? It must be bad. I've never had that happen before. 

Kevcor said:
OK I just tasted the wort and it has a strong apricot flavor??? It must be bad. I've never had that happen before.

That's got any number of sources but the most likely is a hot fermentation temperature. Combined with underpitching and underaeration, WLP001 can get very fruity. I detect peach usually, but apricot isn't out of the question.

What was the recipe? Did it have a lot of simple sugars? Was there a lot of trub in the fermenter?

Back