• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Analysis Results.

Greg2013

Apprentice
Reaction score
Newbie forum user here from Ireland. I recently had to send a sample of my household water for analysis and below are results i got. Is it possible to enter this information on Beersmith in such a way that when i design a recipe it will automatically show me what additions i need if any for the style i am brewing ? For instance if i was brewing a stout and chose the water profile for Dublin would BS2 show me in the recipe what additions i needed to make to my own base water profile to achieve this ?

pH 6.2
Nitrate 7.1ppm
Calcium 11ppm
Magnesium 3ppm
Chloride 38ppm
Sulphate 7.8ppm
Alkalinity (as CaCO3) 27ppm

Attachments

• 10305181_501658993311553_4893722093312745325_n.jpg
    10305181_501658993311553_4893722093312745325_n.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 417
That is excellent water. I prefer the bru'n water spreadsheet to dial in a water profile. Your numbers are just a few ticks over RO water. Some additions would help depending on the style your after.

I never figured it out, but I don't think Beersmith works that way.

Greg2013 said:
Is it possible to enter this information on Beersmith in such a way that when i design a recipe it will automatically show me what additions i need if any for the style i am brewing ?

Water becomes its own unique "skill" in BeerSmith. The program doesn't handle water additions very well and any changes to volumes or profile don't get updated in the recipe. You have to basically do it all at the last minute and that gets cumbersome.  After all of that, some minerals either don't easily dissolve, or just precipitate in the boil.

Besides that, water doesn't have to mimic a particular city to get the beer right. Most brewers treat and change their water and have done so pretty much for centuries. Even the brewers of Burton boiled their water for 15 minutes before using it, later some used distilled.

I'll second the suggestion to use Bru'n water. The most important thing is to have Calcium levels that are >50ppm and to balance the Residual Alkalinity (different than the alkalinity measurement you have) so that you get the correct mash, sparge and wort pH.

On the forum Homebrewtalk.com/forum.php there are hundreds of threads about water in the Brew Science room. There is also an excellent primer on Water pinned to the top, written by AJ Delange. AJ answers water questions over there all the time. He certainly has more knowledge than me on the subject of chemistry.

Thanks guys, all i really wanted to know was what would i need to add to my water profile above to get a good base line for all beers ?

Greg2013 said:
Thanks guys, all i really wanted to know was what would i need to add to my water profile above to get a good base line for all beers ?

That seems like a different question than:

Greg2013 said:
that when i design a recipe it will automatically show me what additions i need if any for the style i am brewing?
  ;)

OK kidding aside, the suggestions of Bru'n water is still the most functional for either of your questions. It'll help most with mash pH on any recipe since it takes into account minerals, malt, acidulated malt and various acid adjustments. BeerSmith doesn't calculate pH at any stage of the recipe, it just gives you a field to record it.

Bru'n water is free for the basic version and just a donation for the upgrade, which includes your name embedded in the copy!  :)  It's what I use.

I know I sound like a shill... I have no affiliation with the program, but I've beer judged and graded judge exams with the author. Otherwise I'm just a satisfied and paying user of the spreadsheet.

My original question remains however as you say Beersmith is not capable of making these adjustments which is a real pity IMHO. Since Beersmith will not do it is where the second question comes in. A general mash water profile,tell me what i need and let me be done with it sort of question lol. ;D

I had a look at Brund Water and its confusing,spreadsheets were never my thing,if that was in an app would be way better IMHO. I will persist for now with it and report back.Cheers.

I have similar water and for every all-grain beer 5-8 gallon batch I just put 2 tsp gypsum in the strike water and 2 tsp gypsum in the boil.

grathan said:
I have similar water and for every all-grain beer 5-8 gallon batch I just put 2 tsp gypsum in the strike water and 2 tsp gypsum in the boil.

Cheers for that grathan,somebody else suggested i use gypsum and maybe calcium chloride if i was doing a hoppy brew ?. ;D

Is it possible to enter this information on Beersmith in such a way that when i design a recipe it will automatically show me what additions i need if any for the style i am brewing ?

Does the attached recipe show what you are after.  If it is I will reply with steps to do this automatically in beersmith.  If its not I wont.  Its a lot of typing.

Attachments

• aussie mod.bsmx
    24.1 KB · Views: 189
KernelCrush said:

Does the attached recipe show what you are after.  If it is I will reply with steps to do this automatically in beersmith.  If its not I wont.  Its a lot of typing.

Spot on exactly what i was looking for. ;D

I will start with 'I dont do this, and I dont recommend it'.  Mostly cause its difficult for me to figure if its correct or not.  And there are programs that are more user friendly.  Most things in Beersmith I used to think were messed up I have now found Beersmith wasnt messed up, I was.  This isnt one of them.

Go to Ingredients, Water.  Pick any profile, copy, paste, rename, change values to show whats in your water report. Go to Tools, Water Profile Tool, click Base Profile and select your newly named water profile from the drop down list.  Your water values will appear in the boxes.  Slide down to Target Profile and select the target water you want to emulate so its values appear in the boxes.  Now slide to the bottom and click on Calculate Best Additions.  The additions Beersmith calculates appear in all the individual boxes for minerals.  Slide over and click Save Additions to Target.  A box will pop up and you can tweak the numbers if you feel its needed.  Click OK.  Close the tool. 

Go to your Recipe, Design Page.  To the right of the big white box listing all your ingredients click Add Water.  Click the water profile you want to emulate.  In the pop up box, go to the bottom where it says Amount and change that value if you want to the volume of water you wish to treat. It will ask you if you want to add the minerals.  Say Yes.  It will populate your recipe with the calculated mineral additions and will appear in your Brew Steps printout.

The Water Profile Tool has limitations as discussed in this thread and many others and I wont start listing them in this response, I have to get to work.  Most users use other programs.  I use Bruin Water alot and also Kai's calculator at Brewers Friend.  You can use an outside program for your calculations, then manually add them to the recipe list of ingredients by clicking Add Misc, highlight mineral, change amount at the bottom, add to recipe.  You can seperate them into mash additions and kettle additions by double clicking the mineral once they are in your recipe and change Use In to Mash or Boil. 

I dont do any of the above, just print out my water calculator from Bruin or Brewer Friend, use it, staple to my recipe.

If you are going to use the Water Profile Tool,  you may want to google say a water profile for an APA, and create a new water profile for it like you did for your base profile.  Use it as your target water instead of a particular city. 

Back