Author Topic: First high gravity beer not carbonating  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Willards

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Sanitized dog hair in every bottle!
First high gravity beer not carbonating
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:55:44 PM »
I made an imperial red from a NB kit and pitched 1.5 packs of US-05. It clocks in at 10%, but after almost 5 weeks, it is barely carbonated! Is this normal?  Will it just take time, or will 10% kill US-05?

Thanks!
Bottled: Caramel Apfelwein, Imperial Red Ale, Saison du Vin, Pumpkin Pecan Porter
Secondary:
Primary: Mint Chocolate Brown Ale

Offline Maine Homebrewer

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: First high gravity beer not carbonating
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:04:45 PM »
I made an Imperial Stout that never carbonated. Same yeast.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline Willards

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • Sanitized dog hair in every bottle!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »
I'm just a little peeved that it was the recommended yeast in the kit. Low alcohol tolerance couldn't be the only problem,  could it?
Bottled: Caramel Apfelwein, Imperial Red Ale, Saison du Vin, Pumpkin Pecan Porter
Secondary:
Primary: Mint Chocolate Brown Ale

Offline Maine Homebrewer

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:15:27 PM »
That strain of yeast is supposed to handle up to 12%. I don't know the ABV of the brew I made. That was before I started taking notes.

Mine was flat. Still. No bubbles or even a pop. If yours is barely carbonated, then it may be that the yeast is working but tired.

Try giving it some more time.
"To alcohol! The cause of - and solution to - all of life's problems!" -Homer Simpson

Offline haerbob3

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 05:34:44 PM »
I make up a priming solution to which champagne yeast has been added.  Most importantly give it time.  I routinely brew high ABV winter ales.  I won't even check one till 6 months have past.

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:34:55 PM »
I made a Russian Imperial Stout that finished at 10.5% about a year and a half ago.  It took 3 months to carbonate.  It just seemed to take forever.  It was entered into a competition at 6 months in the bottle, (it had carbonated up eventually) and scored 43!  It was a great beer.  Patience is the key.  I think you'll find that it will eventually carbonate.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline Freak

• Freak Brothers Homebrew
  • Brutally Freaking Honest
    • Freak Brothers Homebrew
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:08:22 PM »
US-05 is a work horse. It always takes off and goes crazy for 5 days. Never had a problem with it even after it has set out at room temp for weeks. Should be fine.
Brewing massive amounts of freakin' good beer since 1991. We had to learn the hard way. No homebrew stores or beer nerds (like me) to talk to back then. Just pure passion and determination. Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Homebrew! -23 Karma! Yee Ha!! It went up! Smite me if you must but, trust me.

modification