• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

First high gravity beer not carbonating

Willards

Brewer
Reaction score
I made an imperial red from a NB kit and pitched 1.5 packs of US-05. It clocks in at 10%, but after almost 5 weeks, it is barely carbonated! Is this normal?  Will it just take time, or will 10% kill US-05?

Thanks!

I'm just a little peeved that it was the recommended yeast in the kit. Low alcohol tolerance couldn't be the only problem,  could it?

That strain of yeast is supposed to handle up to 12%. I don't know the ABV of the brew I made. That was before I started taking notes.

Mine was flat. Still. No bubbles or even a pop. If yours is barely carbonated, then it may be that the yeast is working but tired.

Try giving it some more time.

I make up a priming solution to which champagne yeast has been added.  Most importantly give it time.  I routinely brew high ABV winter ales.  I won't even check one till 6 months have past.

I made a Russian Imperial Stout that finished at 10.5% about a year and a half ago.  It took 3 months to carbonate.  It just seemed to take forever.  It was entered into a competition at 6 months in the bottle, (it had carbonated up eventually) and scored 43!  It was a great beer.  Patience is the key.  I think you'll find that it will eventually carbonate.

US-05 is a work horse. It always takes off and goes crazy for 5 days. Never had a problem with it even after it has set out at room temp for weeks. Should be fine.

Back