• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Any thoughts ?

nuggetmania

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am a kit brewer , and probably will remain so as I like the ales that I have made so far . We experimented with some nugget hops this year and have harvested a good amount . There are still some blossoms left on the bines that are ready to pick and would like to add some fresh to my go to BB Red Ale at the end of course as to not raise bitterness but at the end to pick up the aroma of the fresh nuggets ,say the last 5 to 10 min. Kit has fuggles as finish in last 5 min. . Running short of brew and Summer Ale is about gone and tweaked Pumpkin Spice is conditioning so will be starting Red Ale shortly .

Maybe I'm missing your question, but what are you wanting to do? Are you thinking of replacing the fuggles with the nuggets?

I was thinking of that , replacing the fuggles with the nuggets or just adding my hops in there to give a little something of my own . Yup I'm afraid of messing up a batch ( something I need to get over ) so I just threw this out there . At the risk of answering my own question there should be no problem since both would be in the last 5 minutes of the boil , I would at least have an idea of how to use the nuggets .
Thanks for the reply .

In my opinion, nuggets are good at any point in the boil.

Do what you think. I bet you don't pour it down the drain.

LOL , haven't dumped any yet , guess that's the upshot of this brewing thing ... You get to drink your mistakes .
So yeah I'm going to just replace nuggets for fuggles in last part of boil and see what happens !

Willards said:
In my opinion, nuggets are good at any point in the boil.

Do what you think. I bet you don't pour it down the drain.

Switched out to use my Nuggets fresh off the bine in the last 15 minutes , 6 days in primary and just went to second . A little tasting showed the nuggets come through in the aroma and  some flavor . Little over an ounce fresh as compared to .5 pellet Cluster hops , yup this ones a keeper .

Unless you are changing the hops quantities or switching the strength, you can't really hurt anything.  I have home-grown hops that "mixed" ( Cascade and Goldings ) and I sub them in for any recipe calling for Cascade or Golding.  May make the recipe hard to duplicate but it's never brewed a bad batch.  Relax, have a homebrew :)

Back