• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Batch size- priming sugar question

J

jwhite751

I am presently working on an extract recipe and my question is this, on the recipe view screen I am setting my batch size at 5.5 gal. I take this to mean that I will have 5.5 gal in primary.Now, from that I hope to get 5 gal.to actually bottle. If I want a carbonation of 2.7 volumes is Beersmith figuring my priming sugar on 5.5 gal or 5 gal that I would actually be bottling?If it is basing it on 5.5 gal when I am only bottling 5 gal it will result in a carbonation of more than 2.7.

The priming calculations are based on your batch size, so you would probably want to set that to 5 gal and count the rest as trub loss to be totally accurate.

Cheers!
Brad

OK,correct me if I am wrong but wont that leave me with 3 options.
    1.Set batch size to 5 gal that will result in approximately 4.5 gal to bottle which will still cause me to miss my mark on carbonation.

2.Leave batch size at 5 gal but fill primary to 5.5 gal causing all calculations to be inacurate.

3.Set batch size to 5.5 gal, bottle 5 gal and still miss my mark if I want a certain level of carbonation.

I could go to a chart and figure priming amount based on actual amount to bottle or change batch size at bottling to actual amount to get correct priming sugar but have you thought about adding an amount field in the priming calculations that is separate from the batch size ?

Back