• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Honey vs Corn Sugar for Carbination

Robert D Glowacki

Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been brewing approximately 1 year (still consider myself new). I've used Corn Sugar (5oz) to bottle and carbonate my beer. I'm attempting to brew a Christmas beer and use Honey instead. BeerSmith calls for 4.34 oz for a 5 gal batch. Is this liquid oz. or weight oz.?
Is there anything else I need to be aware of using honey.

Is that 4.34 oz of honey or of corn sugar?  The ounces are weight units, by the way.

I just finished priming a batch of Honey Brown with honey.  Be aware that the sugar value of honey can vary quite a bit depending upon the source.  If it has a label, I usually use the % carbohydrates (grams carbohydrates/grams per serving) as the fermentable content.

Realistically, the amount of honey you are adding will not make much of a discernible difference in a flavorful recipe such as a Christmas beer. 

I've never really noticed a flavor difference myself when carbonating with honey either.

The sugar content is so hard to trust, that I've had some under carbed and over carbed batches.  Mostly overcarbed with bottles blowing up.  Because it doesn't really add anything to the beer, I've sworn off of using honey to carbonate.

Just my 2 cents....

Back