• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Should I pitch a second batch of yeast?

mikeyj

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Dogfish Punkn clone that was rather heavy on the sediment. I pitched a pretty healthy yeast starter that was working for 30 hours before being pitched probably around 80 degrees, perhaps slightly more than the room temp. The yeast didn't take off, airlock activity was brief and underwhelming. It began at the 48 hour mark and lasted until the 60 hour mark. The krausen rimming the carboy is short, perhaps less than an inch. Should I pitch a new batch of yeast? It has been fermenting for one full week. I wasn't able to take a gravity reading because I busted my hydrometer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Without a hydro reading, it's tough to say. 
Is this an extract or all-grain batch?  If the latter, what were your mash temps?  If you mashed too high, it could be that not many fermentable sugars were created, in which case you wouldn't get a lot of fermentation activity, and pitching more yeast won't accomplish anything. 

Freak said:
Go buy a hydrometer.

yep, you're gonna need one of those.  or, if you're sick of breaking them like i am, go for a refractometer.  it pays itself off in a few broken hydrometers.

I have read, somewhere, that a refractometer does not read correctly with alcohol in the sample.  Is that true?

Just to add...
If you do go the hydrometer route, calibrate it first with pure water. I've yet to find one that's not .002-.004 off.

There is an option within the refract tool to convert fermenting wort Brix to SG.

RickS said:
I have read, somewhere, that a refractometer does not read correctly with alcohol in the sample.  Is that true?

That's correct.  BS has a tool to help out here.  You plug in the batch's OG, your measured FG, and it'll kick out your actual FG. 

Back