• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Storing and reactivating a Yeast Starter

Pompeysie

Brewer
Reaction score
Hi

I have a yeast starter (24 hours old) sat in a conical flask. Unfortunately the brew I was going to use it for today didn't happen. Can I just save the starter in the fridge until I use it (probably in 5 days time).

Also, before I use it, after refrigeration, what should I do to reactivate it and ensure it is ready to do its thing?

Many thanks

Simon

5 days in the fridge is fine.
When you're ready to pitch, decant the starter wort leaving just enough to loosen the yeast cake and shake it well. Pitch it cold.
Some prefer to decant completely, then add boiled then cooled water to loosen the yeast cake. Seems like an unnecessary extra step. I don't think a couple ounces of starter wort will affect the brew.

I decant the starter wort off of it when I start my mash and let it sit out covered with aluminum foil.  This lets it come up to room temperature, so that I'm pitching close to the same temperature as my wort.  I don't want to stress my yeast by having it too cold and having my wort significantly warmer.  I try to keep the yeast starter and wort within 5 degrees F of each other.

I would probably re start it the day before you brew so they're awake when you pitch

Just to be clear, there is no need to warm a finished yeast starter from the fridge. It's actually advantageous not to, as it starts munching glycogen reserves almost immediately.
Your yeasties will not stress and will thank you for it.
Pitching right from the stir plate at high krausen is another story - your pitching temp should be as close to the wort temp as possible.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Just to be clear, there is no need to warm a finished yeast starter from the fridge. It's actually advantageous not to, as it starts munching glycogen reserves almost immediately.
Really?  They won't be stressed by the big temperature swing?

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Pitching right from the stir plate at high krausen is another story - your pitching temp should be as close to the wort temp as possible.

very interesting and counter-intuitive. thanks baron!

Beer_Tigger said:
Really?  They won't be stressed by the big temperature swing?

Not at all. You'll get less lag time, an explosive fermentation, and higher attenuation. Usually finishes quicker. The yeast in suspension will quickly assimilate to the wort temp and get to work. Ideally pitch into wort about 5 degrees cooler than your ferment temp. Give it a try!

Update...
Brewed a red ale last night. Fermentation in 3 hours cold pitching the yeast at 40 and wort at 66.
San Diego super yeast WLP090

Attachments

• photo 091314.jpg
    photo 091314.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 882
Back