• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash tun deadspace vs lauter tun deadspace?

kickz28

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a Kal-clone Electric Brewery setup.

I set my Lauter Tun Deadspace value to 3.75L because I want Beersmith to calculate my strike water with the additional water needed for the space under the false bottom and in the HERMS coil. However, when it comes time to sparge, my dip tube picks up the majority of the wort that's under the false bottom, so my deadspace is actually closer to 1L, maybe even a bit less. This means that Beersmith is adding extra water to my sparge because it thinks that I have 3.75L of deadspace.

Is there a way to separate Mash tun deadspace from Lauter tun deadspace?

Thanks!

No.

Once you've doughed in, just unclick the Adjust Mash Vol for Deadspace box and BeerSmith will show the correct sparge volume.

Deadspace is unrecoverable wort. If you can recirculate it and recover it, it's part of your liquor to grist ratio. For purposes of strike temperature, BeerSmith looks at total water, anyway.

Generally, the gap water under a false bottom can be accounted for as just the percentage of the total mash tun volume. So, if the mash vessel is 15 gallons and the gap space is 1.5 gallons, then your liquor to grist ratio just goes up by 0.1. In other words, from 1.25:1 to 1.35:1.

Back