• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Enter Recipe and Equipment Profiles

broncosaurs

Apprentice
Reaction score
Question on entering a recipe and scaling.  Lets say I find a recipe and want to enter it into BS.  If I enter this recipe into a new recipe window with "my equipment" set, I get very odd results for the AVB, color IBUs etc.  So, to enter a recipe should I make a simple “equipment” setup without any of the dead volumes etc then scale to my equipment?  What is the best way to enter a recipe then scale correctly to "My Equipment"?

Thanks Brad

When adding recipes from books & articles, always use their baseline equipment profile. For instance, BYO magazine lists the specs for mash efficiency and volume in every issue. Create an equipment, mash and fermentation profile that matches their spec.

I'd also recommend that you save the original recipes in folders named for their source.

Once you have the base recipe, you can scale it to your equipment. Simply rename the recipe, then just move the new recipe to your recipe folder.

When you follow this method, you'll always have the baseline recipe that can be rescaled to new equipment and volumes.

brewfun, thanks for the reply.  Seems most recipes I see don't list there equipment.  Grains amt, hops, OG, FG finale vol. Maybe set up an equipment profile that is "simple", no dead volumes, don't adjust temps for equipment, don't adjust mash vol dead space?  enter in recipe using "simple equipment", adjust batch size until the OG is correct for the recipe, then scale to my equipment?  Am I going in the wrong thought direction?

Would anyone mind posting the exact settings they use for BYO Magazine Recipes' Equipment profile?

Whenever I copy a recipe, I copy and paste all of the info into the notes. I'm going to have to modify it for my equipment any way.
If I copy a number of recipes from a single source, I will create an Equipt/Mash profile for that source.
When I brew, I save it to a different folder, and using my equipt profile I adjust the ingredients to match what is in the notes.

Back