• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

High OG

Oddball

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just did a recipe that was primarily extract but had me steep grains for half an hour at 155F. When I put the recipe into beersmith it gave me an estimation of 1.045 OG but when I took the OG with compensated temperature I got 1.062 OG. What could have caused such a large difference? Thanks for the help

Assuming that your planned volume is equal to your actual volume, the difference is most likely that your steeping efficiency is greater than BeerSmith's default.  If the volumes are different then you need to account for that before making any adjustment to your steeping efficiency.  If I remember correctly, the default efficiency is 15%.  I ended up moving that to 19% to match what my actual results were for extract recipes.

You can find the steeping efficiency in the 'options' >> 'advanced'.

Ok, that makes sense. I may have boiled off a bit more then i planned for, which would give a higher concentration of sugar/gallon in the wort.

I may have boiled off a bit more then i planned for, which would give a higher concentration of sugar/gallon in the wort.

I find that's the most troublesome part of my boil, but then I do 3 gal batches using a 175,000 BTU burner.  Wanted to be ready for larger boils.  Can't seem to get the burner set low enough at times and boil off more than I think I am.
What I do now is rack off the cooled wort to a bucket and add sterile water back up to the 3 gal mark.  It's then right on the mark for OG. 

texasdan said:
I find that's the most troublesome part of my boil, but then I do 3 gal batches using a 175,000 BTU burner.  Wanted to be ready for larger boils.  Can't seem to get the burner set low enough at times and boil off more than I think I am.
What I do now is rack off the cooled wort to a bucket and add sterile water back up to the 3 gal mark.  It's then right on the mark for OG.

Measure your volumes before and after and reset your boil off rate in your equipment profile.

Back