• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How best to keg and bottle combo?

TAHammerton

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I have recently started kegging my beer and I have a Baltic Porter ready to go but I want to put some of it in bottles. What is the best procedure?

I was thinking of either:

1. Trying to put a gallon in a bottling bucket and adding appropriate priming sugar to that and bottling from there.
2. Priming the whole 5 gallons sticking it all in the keg and filling the bottles from there.

Any and all input and suggestions welcome.

Also the Porter has been in the secondary a few weeks at 55F and is pretty clear. Should I add more yeast or will there still be enough in suspension to carbonate in the bottle? I am going to age the bottles for a few months so i am not worried if it takes a while to develop carbonation.

Not the cheapest option, but what I do is force carbonate the entire batch in the keg, then use a blichmann beer gun to fill a few bottles for future reminiscing.  no priming sugar necessary!!

don't add more yeast to that porter, there's still enough good stuff in there to do the trick.

I prime the whole batch, bottle what I need into bottles, then put the rest in the keg. 

The small amount of priming sugar in the keg doesn't bother the CO2 level too much after I force carbonate and start drinking it.  Taking off a glass or two every day prevents it form over carbonating.

One time I used carbonation tabs to bottle a bit of a batch and then put the rest into a keg. Bad idea. Every single bottle turned into a gusher. Those unboiled tablets ruined the bottled beer.

I solved this problem with a Blichmann Beergun

http://blichmannengineering.com/products/beergun

I would bulk age it in the keg and bottle or growler as needed.

Check brew-dudes.com bottling from the keg. Make sure bottle temp and keg temp are close to the same or the beer will foam. There several videos on  youtube how to do it with out a beer gun. I've done several batches this way without any problems.

Back