• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Munich Dunkel - Single Decoction

Eberta

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am planning to make my first Munich Dunkel along with making my first attempt at a Single Decoction.  I was hoping that this would provide improved "malt character" over just a Single Infusion Mash.

My plan is to utilize a Single Infusion, Medium Body Mash at 154 deg F and after 30 minutes (t1=30 min) remove approximately 30% of the mash and perform a Decoction where I bring it to boil for 15-20 minutes and then re-introduce it back into the Mash Tun after 30 mins from when it was pulled ( t2 = 60 min) with a target temp of 167 deg F, hold for 10 minutes then vorlauf and lauter, then do a 2-step batch sparge.

My question is how to express this in the BeerSmith software.  Since the remaining 70% of the mash continues at the initial mash temp, do I show a 60 minute Single Infusion at 154 deg F, followed by a Decoction Step with step temp at 167 deg F and step time of 10 minutes?

I am guessing that the BeerSmith software does not adjust the Batch Sparge water for the volume of water that is lost during the decoction boil.  Do I need to calculate that myself and add it back into the Batch Sparge volumes in order to hit my desired pre/post boil volumes?

Beersmith has a Single Decoction Mash Profile, I think. I might of added it myself.
Protein Rest 122 for 35 min
Saccharification (the decoction)  154 for 45 min
Mash Out 168 for 10 min
I've did three double decoctions and found they are a lot of work without much results. The claim is decoction brings out the melatonin in the grain. If you are doing this for melatonin you can add some Melanoiden Malt. I've attached a Single Decoction Mash Diagram to help if you go for it.

Attachments

• Mash_diagram_single_decoction.gif
    Mash_diagram_single_decoction.gif
    17 KB · Views: 5
prj28 said:
I've did three double decoctions and found they are a lot of work without much results. The claim is decoction brings out the melatonin in the grain. I

I agree.  I have done 2 or 3 of them and thought it was a lot of work for little gain.  One thing I have found that helps me with bring the malt forward.  Is to use batch sparging instead of fly sparging.  I plan I trying full volume mashing to see how this effects the flavor profile.

On March 1st of this year, I did a side by side comparison test of the two methods.

I used the exact same grain/hop combinations for two different 5 gallon batches.  Basically I made 10 gallons of beer that day that were identical, except for the mashout process.

On batch 1, (I called this one a "Decoction Mashout")
I pulled the thickest part of the mash out of the mash tun and boiled it for 30 minutes (think of it like boiling oatmeal).  I used  a colander to pull it out.  It was at 240 degrees F when I put it back into the mash tun and stirred really well.  This actually brought me up to 166F.  I then put in my first small batch sparge addition at 170F, stirred well, and let it sit for 10 minutes.  I then vorlaufed and slowly drained my mash tun into my boil pot.  I then put my second larger batch sparge in at 170F, stirred and let it sit for 10 minutes.  I then vorlaufed and slowly drained my mash tun into my boil pot and then continued on with my boil from there.

On batch 2, (I called this one a "Lautered Mashout")
While batch 1 was boiling, I mashed in batch 2 at the exact same grain bill at the exact same mash temp as batch 1.  At mash out, I then vorlaufed and drained the mash tun into another boil pot.  I brought this up to 195F and then added it back into my mash tun, added my first small batch sparge volume at 170F, stirred and let it sit for 10 minutes.  My mash tun settled at 170F.  I then vorlaufed and slowly drained into my second boil pot.  I then added my second larger batch sparge volume at 170F, stirred and let it sit for 10 minutes.  I then vorlaufed and drained slowly into my second boil pot.  I then finished the brew session identical to how I finished Batch 1.

I didn't adjust my water volumes and ended up about .5 gallon short on Batch 1 compared to Batch 2.  I added just enough water to Batch 1 to make them identical (I didn't want a more concentrated wort to skew my results). 

The results were............(drum roll please.................................).

Nada, nothin', zilch!!!  I can't see any difference in color, flavor, anything!!

I even did a blind tasting for some of my home brew friends.  They can't tell any difference either!

My lesson learned on this one is.................................................Don't waste my time doing a decoction Mash out anymore.
Your results may differ.  This is just my results.

Also, I did hit all of the same starting and finishing gravities.  I didn't notice any difference in fermentation. Nothing is different between the two beers.

Oh, most importantly.  They are Red IPA's and they taste great!!

Back