• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

network

P

paulcgi

I just read the post in suggestions about a networked version. now that would rock. If you are working on that, & would like assistance, count me in!

Hi,
  Its still in the conceptual stage - as I'm focusing on releasing the new version very shortly.  However, I also think it would be very useful to have at least a central recipe depository to start with.

Cheers!
Brad

I've got an SQL box just waitin for some development work. I'm thinking XML for the transfer, well, beerxml of course. some form of authentication from a particular user's beersmith.
If you have some ideas let me know and I can do some preliminary work on the database.

hmmm...  either upload recipes as xml for a sort of back-up. this would also allow people to be able to access/modify a recipe from work and then grab the networked version from home for brew-day.  I'm also thinking that it could be used for a sort of disaster recovery. upload recipes, inventory backup files. you could still use it for networking beersmith (home & work) but it would also be a CYA in event of system crash

Paul...

Paul,
  At the moment, I'm thinking of an SQL meta database, and the files uploaded in both beerxml and BeerSmith format, possibly also with a preformatted HTML listing.  This would allow the SQL database to be pretty lean, containing only the main indexes for searching recipes while the full XML and BSM files are available for download. 

I was not really thinking of a full backup service as the disk requirements would be large, but I think if people could submit their recipes using a login, and then search and download them by name, author, style, etc - this would be a good starting point.

What do you think?

Brad

sounds good to me. sql2005 has an xml data type.. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with

been messin around with it here & there thru the day. If you want to move the discussion to email, we can certainly do so, or keep it here in the forum.
I'm thinking about putting the the recipe data in the SQL table. At least for my website, I have limited space for files and for db data. BUT in putting the xml recipe files in the database, we eleminate the issue of users uploading files with the same name (more so since beersmith's default is recipes.xml). We (imho) also have better control over who can access what without having to touch file system permissions. let me know what you think. I have a skeleton of a system in place and working. Currently I have name, recipe name, style/sub-style ( I split apart like 6 and A,B,C etc to make it easier to search), and I am storing the XML in the database. Tomorrow I'm going to work on just pulling the info from the xml file that way the person uploading a recipe wouldn't have to type the info in. I can just extract it from the xml.
so currently you have to export the recipes from beersmith, go to the website, log-in, fill in the small form and browse to the xml file, click submit and you're done. still have search, etc to go.
I am also working on this with MSSQL 2005 and ASP. I guess it depends a lot on where the files are hosted whether it would make more sense to move to perl/php or whatever
Paul...

Back