• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Need help with spices for a spiced holiday ale

Brewmex41

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I am looking for some help with spices for a spiced winter ale. Something similar to 21st Amendment brewing co's Fireside chat.

Here's what I got going so far
12.5lb 2 row
2lb Maris Otter
1lb C60* L
1lb Wheat malt
8oz Special B
8oz Brown sugar @5 min to go

1oz Magnum @ 60
.5oz Simcoe @ 10
.5oz Simcoe @ 5
2oz Simcoe @ flameout steep

london esb yeast

I want to make a tincture with vodka and add after fermentation is over.
looking for thoughts on what and how much spices to use.
Nutmeg, allspice, cardamom, clove, mace, and/or anything reminiscent of the holidays.

Hi Brewmex,

There has been a similar subject for some weeks ago started by Baron Von Munchkrausen (Recipes / Re: Christmas Ale Help
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »).
Perhaps you can find some help there.
I have copied part of my answer below.
Regards, Slurk

This year I will brew a 20L batch of christmas beer as well. I will add the spices to the secondary as a 0,3L "spice tea" (boiled 20 min).
I will go for the following spices:
- 2.5 tsp of grated Cinnamon
- 4 pcs of star anise
- 2 tsp of fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp of grated cardamom
In addition I will add 2 vanilla beans to the secondary that have been cutted over the length and put in vodka for one week (incl vodka)

I just finished brewing a Holiday ale with an Irish Red as the base recipe to which I added the zest from two oranges at 10 minutes and 1 oz of ginger (fresh) at 10 minutes.  I mashed up some fresh cranberries and steeped them with just a few tablespoons of water at 150°F, as not to unleash all the pectin, and dumped them into the secondary the last three days.  I bottled with a tincture of Brandy with cinnamon I had prepared.  Tastes great.

Cheers,

I  ended up using 1 stick of cinnamon, tsp of allspice and cloves and a tbsp of nutmeg with 10 min to go. I like the idea of using brandy, maybe I will make a tincture of those spices in some brandy for the secondary additions.

Back