• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Theresien Ur-Märzenall recipe does not match with Beersmith calculations

Cabrita

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I try to figure out why I don't get the correct values (Original gravity, IBU etc.) with beersmith for Theresien Ur-Marzen, which is available here:
https://brauerei.mueggelland.de/rezeptdetails/items/98.html

Also the recipe tells me completely different amount of decoction weight than the website. I know that my pot is small, I will make a scaling of the recipe later, but first of all I just wanted to put the original values in order to compare them with beersmith.

Somebody has any idea how to get this alright?

Thanks

Attachments

• Theresien Ur-Märzen II..bsmx
    19.8 KB · Views: 195
I've been trying to get to this question for days. Sorry it took so long.

The numbers are suspect, just as you thought. I'd go as far as problematic.

To get the volume and gravity stated in the recipe, 90% mash efficiency is needed. When I updated the malts to the most recent Weyermann specs, the mash efficiency number became 87.5%.

The recipe calls for 70% "Brewhouse Yield" (Sudhausausbeute) which isn't the same thing as mash efficiency. Since I didn't see a place for trub loss, I ignored the number as being something the brewer left as a default instead of updating.

The clues are in the preboil volume (Kochvolumen) of 56.8l and the boiloff rate (Verdampfungsrate) of 12.5%. These get us closer to the target fermenter volume (Ausschlagvolumen) of 47l.  The final tweak is that the shrinkage is 3.2%, which is what happens when chilling from 98C to 18C.

I believe the first mash infusion. After that, I believe the higher temperature infusion and larger decoction volumes are due to a lot more stirring on the part of the original brewer. This is most true when the specific heat is based on a plastic cooler weighing about 5 kg.

Hop utilization is another oddity. The stated hop quantities and time do not correlate with Tinseth, at 100% utilization. You have to reduce utilization to 77% to get Tinseth's formula to work. This is a lot less than the 98C boiling temperature specified (indicating boiling at altitude) would account for. The number is closer to Garetz at 85%.

Finally, the alcohol content of 5.8% requires bringing the yeast maximum attenuation up to 80%.

I think that once you apply those changes to the recipe, you'll have something you can use the scale function on, to get the recipe aligned with your system.

Best of luck! The bones of the recipe look like it could be tasty!

Back