• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Equipment and Mash profiles do not sync boil time

psehorne

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am running 2.2.12  I notice that when I adjust the boil time in the mash screen it does not update/synchronize the Boil Time on the Design Screen.  I did not notice this until my brewing results differed from the program's projection in regard to the boil off.  I assume this is a bug; but, could I be doing something wrong?

psehorne said:
I notice that when I adjust the boil time in the mash screen it does not update/synchronize the Boil Time on the Design Screen.  I did not notice this until my brewing results differed from the program's projection in regard to the boil off.  I assume this is a bug; but, could I be doing something wrong?

I haven't seen a boil time on the mash screen. Mash & Boil are different processes. Are you saying that you created a step that said "Boil for XX Minutes" in the mash tab?

brewfun said:
psehorne said:
I notice that when I adjust the boil time in the mash screen it does not update/synchronize the Boil Time on the Design Screen.  I did not notice this until my brewing results differed from the program's projection in regard to the boil off.  I assume this is a bug; but, could I be doing something wrong?

I haven't seen a boil time on the mash screen. Mash & Boil are different processes. Are you saying that you created a step that said "Boil for XX Minutes" in the mash tab?

Yes, I to increase the boil time; so I created a "Boil for 90 Minutes" step in the mash profile.  But the equipment profile was still set at 75 minutes.  Apparently the mash profile step was not used to compute boiling loss.

brewfun said:

BTW, even  though Mash and Boil are different processes,  BeerSmith has a field on the Mash Profile screen for the boiling temperature.

Now that I understand that BeerSmith does not adjust boiling losses from the additional step that I created in the mash profile I can just delete that step and eliminate the confusion that it has caused me.  But I did expect that BeerSmith would have taken into consideration that step that showed 90 minutes at 100C.

In any event, thanks for your help.

psehorne said:
BTW, even  though Mash and Boil are different processes,  BeerSmith has a field on the Mash Profile screen for the boiling temperature.

That's there to account for boiling at altitude.

But I did expect that BeerSmith would have taken into consideration that step that showed 90 minutes at 100C.

That's a rather interesting expectation. It's based on a false assumption, though.

Decoction mashing is the only mash type that uses a boil. Decoction is with grain, so the resulting boil (mild, closer to a simmer) is placing far more energy into the grain, than in creating steam.

In a mash, the steam loss is so insignificant that's it's not counted, even at very large commercial volumes. Grain absorption is the main place water is lost in the mash process. The standard sparge calculations account for this and BeerSmith let's you change it in the Options menu.

Boiling is after mashing. It's a wholly separate process in brewing. BeerSmith treats it this way, as does every other program.

Decoction mashing is the only mash type that uses a boil. Decoction is with grain, so the resulting boil (mild, closer to a simmer) is placing far more energy into the grain, than in creating steam.

In a mash, the steam loss is so insignificant that's it's not counted, even at very large commercial volumes. Grain absorption is the main place water is lost in the mash process. The standard sparge calculations account for this and BeerSmith let's you change it in the Options menu.

Boiling is after mashing. It's a wholly separate process in brewing. BeerSmith treats it this way, as does every other program.

I am using temperature mashing.  I get a significant steam loss if I leave the lid off the Braumeister kettle during the mash vs. leaving the lid on.

Thanks for your input.  I now understand more about BeerSmith and how to use it for my  particular needs / brewing style.

Back