• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Profile mash in volume and Mash in volume used by the recipe differ

psehorne

Apprentice
Reaction score
My mash profile is set for an mash in volume of 25L.  However, when I select the profile in the recipe it shows a few liter more than 25L.  Sometimes maybe 28L; sometimes as much as 31.  I can change it in the recipe mash screens, but I can't get it to pickup the correct mash in volume from the mash profile.

I am running 2.2.12

If you have the "Adjust Mash Vol for Deadspace" clicked, then this volume is added to the strike water volume.

BeerSmith won't stop you from adding water to a mash. It will give you a red dot in the lower left corner where it says "Mash Volume Needed" when you exceed the volume in the profile.

You're the brewer. Ultimately, you make the decisions.

brewfun said:
If you have the "Adjust Mash Vol for Deadspace" clicked, then this volume is added to the strike water volume.

BeerSmith won't stop you from adding water to a mash. It will give you a red dot in the lower left corner where it says "Mash Volume Needed" when you exceed the volume in the profile.

You're the brewer. Ultimately, you make the decisions.

I do not have "Adjust Mash Vol for Deadspace" clicked in the equipment profile.

psehorne said:

If you'd like help with this issue, more information is needed.  Please post a sample recipe where this issue is occurring.

brewfun said:
psehorne said:

If you'd like help with this issue, more information is needed.  Please post a sample recipe where this issue is occurring.

No need to upload a recipe.  It is happening with all my recipes.  But I have now determined that BeerSmith is changing my mash-in water volume based upon the difference between the Grain Weight Basis in the mash profile and the actual grain weight of the recipe.  If the Grain Weight Basis is less than the recipe grain weight the program adds some to the mash-in liquid specified in my mash profile.  I am using a Braumeister and always start with 25L.  I do not want the program to change the amount I have in the mash profile based upon the amount of grain I am using in the recipe.

What to do?

When you want a fixed amount of water for all batches, what's happening in your brewery is a change in water to grain ratio. Nearly all brewers have a preferred water to grain ratio, since this influences mash performance, significantly. BeerSmith uses that ratio when added to a new recipe.

So, in each recipe, you simply need to change the ratio. Luckily, this is very easy. Just double click the first mash step and change the volume to 25l. That will automatically change the water ratio and show you the volume you desire.

brewfun said:
When you want a fixed amount of water for all batches, what's happening in your brewery is a change in water to grain ratio. Nearly all brewers have a preferred water to grain ratio, since this influences mash performance, significantly. BeerSmith uses that ratio when added to a new recipe.

So, in each recipe, you simply need to change the ratio. Luckily, this is very easy. Just double click the first mash step and change the volume to 25l. That will automatically change the water ratio and show you the volume you desire.

Yes, that is what I have been having to do.

Back