Author Topic: Has anyone on here grown their own hops  (Read 13474 times)

Offline all grain

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • variables,variables, so many variables
Re: Has anyone on here grown their own hops
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »
My nugget seems to be doing quite well. It has two shoots. One is now about 9 feet tall and the other about 4 feet.  I had to spray them with insecticide to stop the leaves being eaten by some tiny red spidery things.

If I am lucky enough to get any cones this year I was thinking of making an English style IPA by blending them with challenger and WGV.
I have 3 nuggets growing in there 2nd year, one is 14 foot already the other 7 binds are not far behind.
brewing is an art form not just a science ,dude where's my beer!

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
My first year nugget is now about 15 ft and starting to flower. I didn't expect anything this year so it's a bit of a bonus.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline nuggetmania

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 06:22:00 AM »
My first year Nuggets are have crazy lots of blossoms and the wife likes to see them growing up the side of our old barn . Another bed to go in shortly , cascades if I can get them .
I need to get caught up on some work around the house and the nuggets should be ready to use by then so we will give them a try .
We bought a Food Saver unit to freeze the hops ( and garden produce )  using oxygen barrier bags of course .

Offline haawa

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
A friend off mine bought seven varieties (2 pce each of Chinnok, Magnum, Cascade, Willamette, Tettnanger, Nugget and Zeus) for me by mail order. I picked them up in LA in May, and when I came home to Sweden I planted them in pots with good soil in the greenhouse at the summer cottage.   11 of the 14 rhizomes grew and the best ones grew about 20 cm (8 inch) per day. When you grow them in pots you can control the watering and the temperature better than if you directly plant them outdoors. Now they climb on my trellis(?) which has two levels; 4 meter and 5 meters (13 feet and 16 feet). The highest pole is 6 meters (20 ft). Most of the plants have grown to their maximum height. I designed the trellis with two walking bridges so that I easily can inspect and harvest the hops. The summer cottage is located on an island in the archipelago of Stockholm. The picture with me pointing at the 4 meter Chinook is taken in the beginning of August and the other today (Oct 1st). Since I planted the hops rather late I don't expect to get any cones this year, they are like 5 mm long now, so this year I have to buy the hops.  The fastest growers this first year was Chinook and Tettnanger, Willamette is supposed to be vigorous but not for me.

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
The picture with me pointing at the 4 meter Chinook is taken in the beginning of August and the other today (Oct 1st).

Wow.  Is it really October already over there?   ;D
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline RichD

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 07:29:38 AM »
Yes but the variety can affect the yield and your location.  In Maine three yeasrs ago Iplanted Williamettes and cascades.  The W died after two years and yielded about nothing.  The cascades are going wild, they are all over my hop garden.  But my son in Virginia had the opposite result, cascades dies  and W is doing quite well.  you have to experiment.  Mine get full sun and crawl up a 16 line attached to our upper deck.

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 07:38:43 PM »
I've finished harvesting my first year nugget and now have just under five pounds of wet hops drying in my garage. I reckon that's pretty good for a single bine. I guess that should give me about a pound once they're dry.

I've never brewed with nugget so I'll q do a single hop pale ale with some MO, a little Crystal and hop at 60, 15 and flameout. I'll assume an alpha acid of about 11% and calculate an IBU of about 50. That should be about right.

They smell very spicy and there's a lot more citrus aroma than I expected. I'm looking forward to tasting them in a beer.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

modification