• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Floaties in my beer

St Joe Blues

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a batch of Kolsch that I was going to bottle today. I brought it up from the basement (it's in a 6-gal plastic bucket), and when I opened it there were chunks of yeast floating on the surface and throughout the beer. It's coming in at 1.009, which is just under where it's supposed to be (that could be a poor reading due to my bifocals). First question is how do I get the yeast to settle? It has already sat for 2 weeks. Second question is why would the yeast be doing this? Could it be stirred up from carrying 5 gal of beer in a bucket up the basement stairs? I've never had this happen before (been brewing kits for about 2 years now), so I'm not sure where to go next. Any help would be appreciated.

I always cold condition my Kolsch. I rack it to another container start at 60, the fermentation temperature, and slowly bring the the temperature down to 40 over four weeks. All the yeast should drop out by then.

I'm assuming that you are bottling so you don't want to cold car ash the yeast out.  You'll need them to carbonate & condition your beer.  If you did cold crash you could do this:

1. Cold crash for a week
2. Take out and. Ring to room temp.
3.  Use a carbonating capsules that you can buy from Norther Brewer called Prime Dose.  Each capsule contains sugar and yeast.  A 22 oz bottle needs about 4 capsules.

Other option:
Rack it to a bottling bucket anyway the floaters could very well be Krusen that just didn't fall out.  I've had that happen before with a hefeweizen and it turned out fine.

I ended up running it through cheese cloth when siphoning into my bottling bucket. The floaters were all darker brown chunks of yeast. I smeared them between my fingers and they went from somewhat hard capsules to slimy yeast, but they were darker than the rest of the yeast. It's been a week so I'll be cracking one open tonight. We'll see how it turns out.

Back